Board index Government and Politics

Government, politics, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Amendments to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Equal Access Law, and anything else that comes to mind.
Forum rules
This is not a forum for partisan expressions, party wars, or insult. Its function is to discuss the way biblical teachings relate to our governmental systems.

Re: College loans and exploitative capitalism

Postby Pure Elise » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:16 am

I didn't even know that was a major, but if they are helping protect the rights of women in Nigeria I don't see a problem with it (however, you are correct there may be more supply than demand). I agree there needs to be more support of STEM programs, but I think there also needs to be adequate support for individuals going into medical sciences/helping professions, particularly because they are both underpaid and necessary.
Pure Elise

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:16 am

It is a principle of responsible money management that you don't borrow more than you are able to repay. Each person must make the decisions that are right for them. No one is coerced to take a college loan.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Walker Texas Ranger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:20 am

Partially true. I can't speak for every individual's experience, but it was prolific enough to be a noteworthy cultural phenomenon that our generation had the idea of "College or flipping burgers forever" hammered into our heads. College was presented as the only viable and laudable pursuit post high school.

So while no one puts a gun to another's head and forces them to take that loan, the coercion is there.
Walker Texas Ranger

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:20 am

I agree that the mainstream mentality was, "If you are worth anything intellectually and vocationally, attend college." That doesn't negate, however, one's personal responsibility in taking a loan there is no hope of repaying. There are always choices: work through school, attend a less expensive college, take time to earn between college years, invent a killer app and become wealthy before entering college... :P
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Walker Texas Ranger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:23 am

True, but that ends up being a pretty big cost-benefit analysis.

Working through school is far more difficult than it has been in previous generations with tuition vs. pay, especially when you think about what jobs are available to someone working part time with no degree or certifications.

Then there's the loss of education quality from having to shoehorn studying in around your work schedule.

Less expensive college is possible, but then that also means potentially a lower quality education and a degree that a potential employer might snicker at...

So sure, there are choices, but not good choices.
Walker Texas Ranger

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:23 am

Agreed, but indebtedness for life isn't a good choice either. I guess one must make one's choices, but then is it a bit disingenuous to bellyache about a poor choice one made?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Steven Not Believin' » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:26 am

But my point isn't that people are making bad decisions and should have done otherwise, it's that the whole system itself is profiting off of those bad decisions and, quite frankly, hoping people make them. That's exploitative and I believe it to be wrong.
Steven Not Believin'

Postby jimwalton » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:41 am

I agree with you that the system is broken. No debate there.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:41 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Government and Politics