Board index Government and Politics

Government, politics, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Amendments to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Equal Access Law, and anything else that comes to mind.
Forum rules
This is not a forum for partisan expressions, party wars, or insult. Its function is to discuss the way biblical teachings relate to our governmental systems.

Re: America was never a Christian nation

Postby Audrey » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:06 pm

I'd like to address question #1. America was a Christian nation not because there were more Christians or more Christian churches, but because our laws and government was founded on the principles of the Old and New Testament. If you go to the basement of the Justice Department, you will find in the archives the 17th century statutes from the 13 colonies. There were biblical citations to those laws. If you look to the laws 100 years later, the law still existed but the Bible verse was no longer quoted. For the last almost 100 years there has been a plan to gut our laws and government of those biblical laws. The American Law Institute, founded in 1923, had the intent to remove 52 Bible-based laws that once protected women, children, and the institution of marriage. Given the climate we have today, I'd say they have been pretty successful! Sadly, the church has remained silent while this has gone on.
Audrey

Postby Simple Simon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:17 am

There's actually no such thing as a Christian nation. A true Christian is a follower of Jesus. Not everyone who calls themselves a Christian follows Jesus. There are only two kingdoms. The Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Satan. There is no geographical truly Christian nation.
Simple Simon

Postby jimwalton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33 am

Yes, Simple Simon, I know there isn't. A "Christian" is a person, and not an adjective. But what I mean (in context) is that it was founded generally by Christians, on biblical principles, and for purposes concordant with the Christianity.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Kapenray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:52 pm

1. So, America is a Christian nation because weird fringe Christian groups moved here, and they definitely count as real Christians. But Christianity in America today definitely isn't shitty because weird fringe Christian groups don't count as real Christians? Your logics :(

2. You don't need to look further than mainstream Christianity in America to see the advancement of a white supremacist and bigoted agenda. The fringe groups are just the most honest about it.
Kapenray

Postby jimwalton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Ian Kapenga, recorded history says that your assessment in #1 (weird fringe Christian groups moved here) is incorrect. Groups like the Pilgrims, Quakers, and the Puritans were conservative groups looking for freedom from religious persecution under state-sponsored religions in Europe. They are historically known to us as deep thinkers, good citizens, and responsible workers with stable families and values contributing to the wellbeing of society.

2. Mainstream Christianity in the modern era has little to no evidence of white supremacist ideology, and their agenda can only be interpreted as bigoted by those who disagree with their value system, i.e., by those biased against Christian values.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Sassy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 am

Question #4: No, the Kingdom of God is not part of America; Some (hopefully many) Americans are part of the Kingdom of God.
Sassy

Postby Pickin' and Grinnin' » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:11 am

Every nation brought some Christianity with it, but, as usual, Christianity was not able to enlighten them on major conflicts like slavery and aboriginal rights/genocide. Greed and survival in that scheme of things did not seem to allow the luxury of that, and for some, it still does not. Prior claim met ambitions, higher technology, and greater numbers. Now relatively prior claim and technology and numbers says we can repel immigrants. Everyone in the Americas is of immigrant stock! Humans came out of Africa. DNA does not lie!
Pickin' and Grinnin'

Postby Ethel » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 am

I believe in the beginning America was based on the foundation of Jesus Christ, but is ending up more and more corrupt each day. This happens because this is not a perfect world and none of it is all Christ because Satan is the prince over the air and has certain control over the earth because of Adam's sin. I believe people were looking more to Jehovah when this nation was being built. Seems like the more this nation is blessed (so to speak), the more it pulls away from Jehovah and leans more toward the world.
Ethel

Postby Vertner » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:31 pm

America has never been a Christian nation, but America has always had brave Christians who stood up against evil such as slavery and other issues that this country has embraced.
Vertner

Postby jimwalton » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Vertner, I agree with you that America has always had brave Christians who stood up against evil (slavery, etc.). What I mean by "Christian nation" (in context), is that it was founded generally by Christians, on biblical principles, and for purposes concordant with the Christianity. I'd like to hear your opinion on that.
jimwalton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Government and Politics