Board index Government and Politics

Government, politics, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Amendments to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Equal Access Law, and anything else that comes to mind.
Forum rules
This is not a forum for partisan expressions, party wars, or insult. Its function is to discuss the way biblical teachings relate to our governmental systems.

Re: Donald Trump and Supremacism

Postby jimwalton » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Mill Gregitello, agreed. I don't see a smoking gun. I also agree that he's never been perceived as moral, at least not by anyone that I know of. It wasn't his morality, as far as I know, that got him into office. He's never been particularly truthful, either. (Next to Hillary they were two peas in a depraved pod as far as that was concerned.) And he certainly has no filter between brain and mouth, to the detriment of us all. I mean, I like a guy who shoots from the hip and tells it like it is, but there still has to be things like truthfulness, integrity, and wisdom that are clearly lacking.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Neera » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:20 am

I hear what you are saying—he has not made an outright statement that proves he is a white supremacist. I would disagree about your assertion that he has not made xenophobic or racist comments.

To me, cozying up to white supremacists and refusing to denounce their words, actions, and overt support of him is sufficient to demonstrate to me, at best, his tacit support of them. In fact, in my experience, this is how oppression most often operates—through benign neglect that refuses to acknowledge the ways that systems, words, actions, and inaction reinforce marginalization.
Neera

Postby Silo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:52 pm

I don't believe he is a white supremacist, and I don't believe most people are saying he is. The discussion here is interesting but also a non-issue. The guy is and has always been an opportunist and like many users, he bites the hand that actually feeds him and prioritizes those who are a fan of him. And when I say, who feeds him, I mean, the House, Congress, legislators, Republicans. Too prideful to take blame so he tosses it around. At times, he has some (very small) point but completely dismisses his culpability and that as a leader, you take responsibility up to a point. He won't denounce the violence in a sensible way or talk in a clear, decisive way because his base includes white supremacists. Someone said that at the end of the day he hates people who hate him and likes people who like him. It's called pride. Which is also why he won't say he is wrong even as everyone in his administration and out of it denounces what happened and ultimately his response whether they address it directly or not.

Josh said everything as succinctly as necessary and I would agree. To be called racist does not have to mean it is your ideology when your actions propagate or support it. And why should it? In my opinion, racism is not about power in a direct sense as some seem to think. It is instead the offspring of classicism which is about power. Racism often exists within classes or more accurately among the lower classes. People looking for someone to blame for something they don't have are directed by the powerful to look at someone who is different. And why wouldn't they? If they looked at the powerful as if they were different, then they would also have to abandon the delusion that they are out of luck millionaires. They vote in the favor of wealthy, protecting the wealth they hope to have one day and turn to their peer to accuse him of standing in the way. The opportunists take advantage of this. It has always been my OPINION that Trump's aim has always been to monetize government to line his own pockets and while people are asking if he truly is a white supremacist (of course, he is not. He's not of their class), he is trying to rob people blind. I can try to point to a ton of things and people will still ask for proof as if I am under his dining room table with a mic. Can we instead, stop being optimistic about a PERSON and instead look to God to be doing a work and ask him what it is? I can tell you, it is not about intellectual discussions about what someone who lies (let's be frank) is thinking or how he defines himself or how we can learn to trust him. It is about how we can serve, spread Jesus, show who Jesus is, love, point people to Him and we can only do that when we also stop defending what has no defense in Christ. And yes, God is a just God and I believe we will see that in the years to come. Trump will go down in history as he really is and there will still be Christians defending him.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:52 pm.
Silo

Previous

Return to Government and Politics