Board index Government and Politics

Government, politics, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Amendments to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Equal Access Law, and anything else that comes to mind.
Forum rules
This is not a forum for partisan expressions, party wars, or insult. Its function is to discuss the way biblical teachings relate to our governmental systems.

Romans 13: How do you interpet it without adding to it?

Postby Snyder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:04 pm

How do you interpet romans 13 without adding to it?

I would like to know from ex protestants (who I was) to know what you get from protestant ministers or pastors on what you were told as they interpeted this passage, because especially american protestants (actually just americans in general) would be against Romans 13. The catholics have a catechism that tells them to revolt against unjust inhumane governments and I dont know what in what the orthodox church has but somewhere in orthodox church tradition speaks out against government corruption, but protestants dont have a central church authority to interpet this passage since protestants have sola scriptura. Protestants are supposed to have a private interpetation of scripture as sola scriptura permits them and by that logic they cant add or mix anything to scripture other than literally what it says and I can imagine alot of conservative protestants try to twist and add more to this passage than needses like steven anderson. Here is Romans 13:

Romans 13 (KJV) - ሮሜ 1: Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. 2: Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. 3: For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: 4: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. 5: Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake. 6: For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing. 7: Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. 8: Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Snyder

Re: Romans 13: How do you interpet it without adding to it?

Postby jimwalton » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 pm

Your question is very broad. A person could write on those 8 verses for dozens of pages. I've seen books on those 8 verses. what is it you want to know? I'll speak generally, and you can follow it up with questions as you wish.

The structures (government) were created by God. Order is preferable to anarchy. But the powers have sinned and are fallen. Despite their fallen condition, governments cannot fully escape the providential sovereignty of God. He is still able to use them for His good. We should submit to them as much as is reasonably and spiritually possible.

Government was designed to reward good and prosecute evil, to bring justice to society and work for fairness to all. We should all be responsibly engaged in politics to increase justice, morality, compassion, security, prosperity, and freedom for all.

We cannot assume just because someone is in power that God put him or her there. That is not what the text teaches. We should give to Caesar what is Caesar's (Mt. 22.21). Governmental authorities should get only what is *due* to them. The early Christian martyrs' defining act was to defy authorities both formally and face-to-face. While we are instructed to submit and obey, it is not always in the service of justice and God to do so blindly. The Christian who willfully subjects himself to government still retains his moral independence and judgment. The authority of government is not self-justifying. Government was established by God to bring order to society, but the text doesn't say that whatever the government does or asks of its citizens is good. In his ordering God does not approve of what government does. Nor does He take the responsibility for what they do. Paul is not arguing for the divine right of kings or government, but for government and order. Nor does he oppose here revolution for a change of government, but he does oppose all lawlessness and disorder.

That should get us started. There is so much more to say without a specific angle or question coming from you. If you want to talk more, let me know.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:24 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Government and Politics