Board index Islam

Who was the greatest prophet?

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Islam teaches that Mohammad is the last and greatest prophet. I am asking how that can be if Jesus was sinless (Surah 19.19) and Mohammad was not (Surah 47.19; cf. 4.106; 40.55; 48.1-2), and if Jesus did miracles but Mohammad did not?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Re: Who was the greatest prophet?

Postby American Hero » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:09 pm

I personally avoid added distinctions to prophets over the other, and this is based on the Quran itself.

Say, "We believed in God and what caused to descend to us and what caused to descend to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob, the Tribes and what caused to descend to Moses and Jesus, and what was given to the prophets from their Lord; We separate and divide not between any of them. We are the one who submit to him." (2:136)

I'm using the Sublime Quran as it's the closest one to me (in bed being lazy).

They are all remarkable and have wonderful stories and great faith, and an example to us all.

Many Muslims would also say the Quran was Muhammad's miracle.
American Hero

Postby My Llama » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:13 pm

We are not supposed to favor any Prophets, but since Muhammad (pbuh) is the one sent for us, and we know most about him, we will incline to favor him more. He will be the one who intercedes for us on Judgment Day, he is the one who will enter Jannah first, he is the one who has the highest station in Jannah. He was the Prophet sent to all mankind while all other Prophets were sent to Jews or individual nations. And anyways, we barely know anything about Moses(pbuh) or Jesus(pbuh) etc.

Also, the verses you quoted don't say Jesus(pbuh) is sinless so I'm not sure if you got that from somewhere else.

Last thing, Jesus(pbuh) performed miracles for the Jews, you never saw them. Muhammad (pbuh) did perform miracles in his lifetime, but his miracle is the Qur'an. So while you can't see Jesus(pbuh) bring life back to the dead with the permission of Allah, you can read/listen/feel the miracle given to Muhammad(pbuh).
My Llama

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm

It was my understanding that S. 19.19 ("No, I am a only a messenger from the Lord, announcing to you the gift of a holy son."), identifying Isa as "holy" is interpreted as him being sinless.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby The king » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Muhammed (Saw), anyone who says any other prophet is directly counterdicting the Prophet's own words - "I am the master of the children of Adam and this is not a boast."
The king

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks for trying, but I don't understand this. Perhaps you can help me some more. This quote doesn't seem to be from the Qur'an, and I don't understand it. Are you saying that Muhammad is the *only* prophet, or that he is the greatest? Where is the quote from? What does it mean?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Thaf » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:27 pm

I don't think you can say the "greatest" Prophet.

I think both Muhammad (saw) and Jesus (as) are great Prophets. Their greatness isn't determined by their sins or miracles. When you say Muhammad (saw) did not do miracles and Jesus (as) did, you fail to realize that they both did in fact do miracles. One of the greatest miracles given to us by Muhammad (saw) was the Qur'an. But there are other miracles he has done. And it is not that these prophets they themselves "do" these miracles. None of these miracles can occur without God Himself.

Muhammad (saw) came as a mercy to all the worlds. Jesus (as) came to guide the Jews.

And whether you say Muhammad (saw) was or was not sinless and Jesus (as) was or was not sinless. They were both in fact sinless. When Muhammad (saw) was a child, Gabriel (as) washed the darkness out of his heart. God made his shaytan which whispers to him a Muslim. But you know, at the end of the day, both of these Prophets (saw) asked God for his forgiveness. No matter how little you sin, you ask for forgiveness. For if you don't, you can easily develop pride and that is a sin.
Thaf

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks for your kindness. I have a few more questions. I thought Allah asked Muhammad to ask forgiveness for his sins in S. 47.19. Is that how this verse is interpreted? And there is no passage (either in the Qur'an or the Bible) where Jesus asked God for forgiveness for his sins. Can you help me understand your answer?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Moe Rain » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Muhammad PBUH, Ibrahim, Musa, Isa, and Nuh are regarded as the big 5 in Islam.

"He has made plain to you of the religion what He enjoined upon Nuh and that which We have revealed to you, and that which We enjoined upon Ibrahim and Musa and 'Isa that keep to obedience and be not divided therein... (42:13)."
Moe Rain

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Thank you for your kindness. What does it mean in S. 33.40 that Muhammad is the "Seal of the Prophets"? What does that phrase mean?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Islam