Board index Islam

Is God and Allah the same?

Postby Tristan Christan » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:35 pm

I dont believe in the Quran and my brother asked if there was more than 1 God like the Muslim God, I said no and that Allah is fake, but everytime I do it I feel this immense ammount of fear. I forgot about it after a month or so I believ but my brother asked again I believe, and I said the same thing and got scared again.

So is Allah the same as our God or an I just being dumb?
Tristan Christan

Re: Is God and Allah the same?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:40 pm

"Allah" is the Arabic word for "God," but YHWH and Allah are not the same. The God of the Bible is necessarily trinitarian, which Allah cannot possibly be.

Also, God who has revealed Himself in the Bible and god who has revealed himself in the Qur'an are completely different revelations. The two "holy" books contradict each other, so it's impossible that both are true or that both are the revelation of the One True God. Therefore one of the books is untrue, and therefore the god it points to is not the true God.

I have a chart that compares and contrasts what the Qur’an says Allah is like with what the Bible says Yahweh is like. They are as different as night and day. Allah and Yahweh can only be the same God if we accept that both religions claim there is only one God, but we reject what the Qur’an says and believe what the Bible says, as the MBB say.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Thomas the Train » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:50 pm

I guess by this thinking, all Jews would also be damned, right?
Thomas the Train

Postby jimwalton » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:50 pm

I don't presume to make judgment decisions in God's place. The justice of eternity is in His hands, not in my perspective.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Thomas the Train » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Sure. Fair enough. But the same logic applies here.

Muslims say they believe in the “God of Abraham” and that they are the children of Ishmael. The Jewish people follow the “God of Abraham” (not the Christian Trinitarian belief) and are the children of Issac.

I’m asking if you see a difference here or do you believe that Muslims and Jewish people would fall under the same place.

If Muslims are condemned for not believing the God of Abraham is not Trinitarian are not Jews condemned for the same reason by that logic?
Thomas the Train

Postby jimwalton » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:34 pm

> I’m asking if you see a difference here or do you believe that Muslims and Jewish people would fall under the same place.

I see a difference. Look in the Bible to what God promised to Isaac: the covenant promises of land, progeny, and blessing. Then look at what God promised to Ishmael: to make him into a great nation (Gn. 21.18). Ishmael is a beneficiary of some of the promises to Abraham, but his progeny do not share in the covenant promises. Surah 2.127 claims that God covenanted with Ishmael, but that's not in the Bible, and the Muslims respect the authority of Genesis (they believe God gave to Torah to Moses in oral form). So they say they respect the Torah, but then they say it has been corrupted and they reject it. But that's a bit of a problem for Muslims because that's the Torah that Muhammad read. How can God say, "Honor this book, but it is hopelessly corrupt and should be ignored"? All of the prophets recognized by the Qur'an are from Isaac's line. Mohammad is the only one from Ishmael's line. Again, I see a difference ... and a problem.

> If Muslims are condemned for not believing the God of Abraham is not Trinitarian are not Jews condemned for the same reason by that logic?

I stand on what I already said. Judgment is God's job, not mine.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Thomas the Train » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Like I said the first time, fair enough. I agree that God will judge and it’s brother your place or mine to make that determination. But I hear Christians try to “shoe horn” Jewish belief into some form of Salcation through various contradictory views when they start to talk about Muslims. I think to remain consistent both must be said to be condemned (as far as we know, and we are instructed to know as best we can do as to give the best truth we have if asked) or you have to leave open the possibility that god might save either. I can’t see how how any other view is rational.
Thomas the Train

Postby jimwalton » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:37 pm

I get what you're saying (and I still won't give an opinion :) ), but I do see a difference. Jews at least believe in YHWH and His revelation in the Bible (the Tanakh, not including the New Testament, obviously, or the deity of Jesus). Muslims reject YHWH of the Bible as well as the deity of Jesus, even though they recognize Him (Isa) as a special prophet, and they even reject the revelation *of* the Bible, claiming it's corrupted.

Paul wrestles with the salvation of the Jews in Romans 9-11, and Christians have been arguing about it ever since. Since they are God’s chosen covenant people, His elect nation, how can they then be under His wrath? But since they have rejected Jesus, how can they receive His salvation? It has never been resolved (though that depends which Christian you ask!), and I, as is obvious, won't enter the fray.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Nuker » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:01 am

> Therefore one of the books is untrue,

At least one, both can be untrue.
Nuker

Postby jimwalton » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:06 am

that's correct. Both can be untrue, or one can be true and the other not, but it's not possible that both are true, which was really my point. Since the question was, "Is God and Allah the same?", I was using my statement to show that they cannot be. Logically speaking, though, it is as you say: it's possible (logically speaking) that both are untrue.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:06 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Islam