Board index Jesus

Who is Jesus?

Jesus's Perfection

Postby Jeff Jess » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:13 pm

Am I supposed to be impressed by Jesus Christ's perfection?

I think there is a passage, but I can't find it, where people are waiting to get judged and they say, "well I was better than other people" and in reply they are told "well you were supposed to compare yourself to Jesus Christ, not other people".

It's an impossible standard, obviously, but my problem is that I'm not convinced I am impressed that an omnipotent God made one person perfect. I get that Jesus was tempted and resisted those temptations, but that's to be expected of someone perfect. Why should I be impressed that God himself can resist temptation? That God himself is sinless? Why should I beat myself up and feel like human garbage every day because a perfect person, a literal God, existed and did a better job at life than I am capable of?
Jeff Jess

Re: Jesus's Perfection

Postby jimwalton » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 pm

> I think there is a passage, but I can't find it, where people are waiting to get judged and they say, "well I was better than other people" and in reply they are told "well you were supposed to compare yourself to Jesus Christ, not other people".

There is no such text. I have no clue where you heard or read this, but it isn't in the Bible.

> I'm not convinced I am impressed that an omnipotent God made one person perfect.

God didn't make one person perfect. Jesus is God and was always perfect. He is uncreated.

> Why should I beat myself up and feel like human garbage every day because a perfect person, a literal God, existed and did a better job at life than I am capable of?

I'm sorry you have this understanding. You're not supposed to beat yourself up or feel like garbage. You are valuable because God created you, and He loves you. You're not supposed to beat yourself up because God is perfect and you're not. Instead, you're supposed to come to Jesus, just as you, to begin a relationship with Him.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Eleven » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Pretty sure it's supposed to be 2 Cor 10:

12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
13 But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you.
Eleven

Postby jimwalton » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:38 am

I think maybe that was a nice try, but the OP was saying the preacher said the text was teaching we're supposed to compare ourselves to Christ (and then feel like garbage because we don't measure up). But that's not what this text in 2 Cor. 10.12-13 is talking about. There were people criticizing Paul, and with keen sarcasm Paul is saying, "Of course we'll never measure up to these who are so high and mighty." It's a completely different thought.

Because then the OP was saying he has no choice but to feel like garbage because he'll never live up to the impossible standard of Jesus. But that's not what 2 Cor. 10 is saying at all.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:38 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Jesus