Board index Jesus

Who is Jesus?

Jesus' knowledge of the prophets

Postby Kubrik » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:58 am

What is the general consensus on Jesus' knowledge of the prophecies?

As a newcomer to scripture and its studies (only read Matthew and am halfway through Romans) there's an important piece of information I feel is absent from my knowledge: Was Jesus aware of what was spoken about him in Isaiah's prophecies? Because there are many lines in Matthew like "In this way what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet was fulfilled" but I don't think it is ever claimed that Jesus himself references it in this way.

My curiosity here lies in the idea that perhaps Jesus' own ability to speak on the nature of his father in heaven was in fact constrained by the necessity to conform with what had been written prior to affirm his divinity.
Kubrik

Re: Jesus' knowledge of the prophets

Postby jimwalton » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:33 am

Here are some texts where Jesus acknowledged His awareness of the prophecies and His place in fulfillment of them:

• Matthew 5.17: “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."
  • Mathew 7.15: "Watch out for false prophets," implying He was aware, as we also should be, of the true prophets.
  • Matthew 12.39, He is aware of the book and story of Jonah
  • Matthew 13.17; Lk. 10.24: "For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it."
  • Matthew 22.40: "All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
  • Matthew 24.15, He is aware of the book and prophecies of Daniel
  • Luke 4.17ff, He read from Isaiah. He knew where the prophecy was that He wanted to read, and He considered Himself the fulfillment of it.
  • Luke 4.27, He knows about Elisha
  • Luke 13.28: “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out."
  • Luke 16.29 & 31: In a story Jesus told about the rich man and Lazarus, He shows knowledge of the prophets. "Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’ ... “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ ”
  • Luke 18.31: Jesus took the Twelve aside and told them, 'We are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written by the prophets about the Son of Man will be fulfilled.' "
  • Luke 24.25: "[Jesus] said to them, 'How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken!' "
  • Luke 24.27: "And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself."
  • Luke 24.44: "He said to them, 'This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.' ”
  • John 6.45: "It is written in the Prophets: ‘They will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me.' "

> My curiosity here lies in the idea that perhaps Jesus' own ability to speak on the nature of his father in heaven was in fact constrained by the necessity to conform with what had been written prior to affirm his divinity.

"Constraint" is not the best choice of term. There was a necessary consistency in what was prophesied with what would happen. If I told you I was going to the store to buy milk, and then I did it, would you say I was constrained?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:33 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Jesus