Board index Jesus

Who is Jesus?

Do you take it literally that Jesus walked on water?

Postby Slime » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:24 pm

I ask because I find it hard to believe.
Slime

Re: Do you take it literally that Jesus walked on water?

Postby jimwalton » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:35 pm

Yes, I do. In the Old Testament, the only one ever said to "walk upon the waters" was God Himself (Job 9.8; cf. Ps. 77.20 [19]). It makes sense to me, then, that Jesus literally walked on the water as a display of His deity.

The only proof we have is to assess whether the disciples were credible witnesses. We saw this in October, 2018, in the confirmation process of Justice Kavanaugh. Dr. Ford, his accuser, had no material evidence of his sexual assault, no corroboration, and even displayed faulty memory. All she had was her credibility as a witness. She was being taken seriously. And this, as you know, was decades after the alleged incident. Many individuals gave her narrative credibility not on the basis of object and material evidence but only on what they considered to be the credibility of her testimony. It’s no different with the Gospel accounts of Jesus walking on the water. There is no material evidence. We have to assess the credibility of their testimony.

We know it's at least scientifically possible if there were possibly a simple miraculous change to the viscosity of the water to create a non-newtonian fluid capable of being walked on. The fluids can exhibit time-dependent viscosity. Scientists still aren’t sure why non-newtonian fluids do what they do, but their reality and some walkability is undeniable.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Re: Do you take it literally that Jesus walked on water?

Postby Avocado » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:46 pm

Thank you for including these scripture references as part of your comment, I was looking to make sure they came up. Blomberg writes, "Jesus clearly is exercising prerogatives previously reserved for Yahweh himself."

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:46 pm.
Avocado

Return to Jesus