Board index Heaven and Hell

What we know about heaven and hell

Can I change my mind after I die?

Postby Sure Breeze » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Although this is directed a Christians, I am writing this under the assumption that anyone can be saved.

Considering I don't believe in God, I believe the general Christian consensus is that I'm currently going to hell. Mind you, I don't believe in God due to lack of acceptable evidence. Clearly I'd have this evidence when I die, wouldn't I?

So here's the question: why must I believe in God now, when I'm alive? Why can't I, when I'm dead and brought into whatever area that decides where I go, figure out the "truth", sincerely repent, and accept Jesus into my heart? Why must this be done only when I'm alive?

It seems like if anyone can be saved then I should be able to be saved at any time rather than some arbitrary time limit.
Sure Breeze

Re: Can I change my mind after I die?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Some parts of life we get to keep changing our minds (I have a closet full of clothes and try on many different outfits before choosing. Ah, but eventually I choose, even though I still have the choice to run back to the closet and switch.) Some parts of life we have to make a decision and can't easily go back on it (joining the military, marriage, etc.) Some choices can never be taken back: a bullet fired, a nasty word spoken, a punch to the face delivered, bungee jumping once our feet have left the platform, sky diving, etc.

Decisions about God and eternity are not like clothes or ice cream cones. They are deep decisions we make about the evidence we see, the state of our minds, the convictions of our deepest heart and soul, the weight of values, and the direction of very being. They are both intellectual and visceral, both academic and mysterious, based on both faith and sight. They are not cavalier. I happen to think it's naive to think that being confronted with the realities of eternity will effect any change in anyone. Right here in this life we are confronted with—pounded with—information from every side, evidences, world views, philosophies and theologies, to the point that not only do we make decisions, but we shape our beings on the basis of them. And on occasion there are powerful forces that motivate us to change our positions on matters of eternity. But our worldviews become settled, and part of our being, to the point where they are who we are, and not subject to change. Jesus said, "Even if someone came back from the dead, they wouldn't believe." At some point evidence gets filtered by the worldview rather than vice versa.

The teaching of the Bible is that the afterlife is like this. After death people are assessed by the One who can see the thoughts of the mind, the designs of the heart, the decisions and convictions one truly has, and the decisions that would not be changed no matter what they see and hear. And that people will be sent to their appropriate and chosen destiny by the One who can judge honestly and fairly, without error.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:44 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Heaven and Hell