Board index LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality

Let's talk about it. The Bible says some stuff, and our culture says a lot.
Forum rules
A conversation like this needs to show respect and understanding in every direction.

A question about homosexuality, shellfish, and Leviticus

Postby Newbie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm sure this is an incredibly unoriginal question but here goes:

Leviticus 11:9 - 12 says you can eat whatever in the water has fins and scales, but anything in the water that doesn't is an abomination/unclean and you shouldn't eat it.

Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 go on to say later that homosexuality is detestable and even punishable by death...

Why does it seem to be absolutely okay to eat shellfish such as oysters and shrimp, but not okay to be homosexual? Is this a case of one sin being worse than the other (which, isn't that supposed to not even be possible?), or is it simply that no one cares about that one anymore?
I understand that some people tend to treat the OT as a just that, Old, and try to follow the NT more closely... So in that case, again, why is homosexuality so condemned by (many of) today's Christians? If I recall correctly, Jesus never mentioned it one way or the other (if he did, please feel free to correct me on this. I'd love to know.), nor did he mention shellfish. I'm just very confused here, any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Re: A question about homosexuality, shellfish, and Leviticus

Postby jimwalton » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:58 pm

The function of the Law of Moses, in general, and Leviticus as part of it, was not as a judicial tool for society (as such, it is in many ways obsolete), but as a revelation of the character of God. It's about the holiness of God, and how people construct holiness in a relationship with him: to separate ourselves for God's purposes, to live lives of purity as God is pure, and to treat every part of our lives as an offering acceptable to God.

Since the law was given to reveal the character of God to us, it is with that understanding that Jesus says, "I didn't come to abolish the law...but to fulfill them." It's as if he was saying, "You could come to know what God is like by looking at the Law, but that will just give you part of the picture. If you look at me you'll get the complete picture." Jesus said, "He who has seen me has seen God." The Law wasn't a set of arbitrary rules, but a lifestyle of living in God's way, which is what Jesus did.

The sacrificial laws, rituals, and the priesthood are all valid, but now we look to Jesus, the perfect high priest and perfect sacrifice. They were symbols of our access to God, and we still have access to God, but now through Jesus.

The food laws were symbolic of the distinctions between Jews and Gentiles, and that separation has been abolished in Christ.

The laws about sexuality and relationships were symbolic of our relationship to God, and that relationship has been secured through Jesus.

So we don't look to ANY of the Laws anymore as our standard of living. We look to Jesus. On the other hand, all of those laws inform the revelation that comes to us in Jesus, and so we don't disregard any of them. We look at them for what they symbolize and teach, however, and not so much following them as a list of rules.

As far the dietary laws, they represent our relationship with God. Animals suitable for sacrifice were suitable for human consumption. Perhaps also the laws pertain to "categories" and "anomalies." Since "fish" are supposed to have fins and scales, shellfish and eels don't qualify. Since "birds" have wings and fly, emus and ostriches don't quality. Land animals "should" walk on all fours, so a snake doesn't qualify. The symbolism is that the relationship with God is that which fulfills its design and purpose, and when something is out of whack, symbolically speaking, it cannot be in relationship with God. Jesus fulfilled this by making it possible to be justified by faith and to be made right with God (no longer "out of whack").

But what about the sexuality laws? Sexuality throughout the Bible is used as a powerful symbol for one's relationship with God. When the israelites dip into idolatry, God says they have "committed adultery" and "prostituted" themselves. God uses the symbol of marriage for his committed relationship with his people. Therefore sex outside of the committed relationship of marriage symbolizes a relationship with God that is broken and twisted from its intent. In that sense, our human relationships symbolize our relationship with God, and are to reflect holiness. Given that understanding, any relationship in the Bible other than that of a man and woman committed to one another in marriage is labeled as "an abomination," as a symbol of a corrupt relationship with God. Sexual relationships outside of the "norm" (hence an anomaly, or "out of whack") compromise one's holiness. I hope that helps.

You are right that Jesus never mentioned either homosexuality or shellfish. It's of no particular consequence. There are 613 laws in the Torah, as recognized by Jewish scholars. He didn't address most of them, but the principles I've written all still hold.

Though Jesus didn't specifically say anything at all about homosexuality, Paul did on several occasions. Neither the OT or the NT gives us rules to follow, but principles to live by.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality