Board index LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality

Let's talk about it. The Bible says some stuff, and our culture says a lot.
Forum rules
A conversation like this needs to show respect and understanding in every direction.

What is the biblical definition of "sodomy"?

Postby Mad Runner » Sun May 10, 2015 3:22 pm

I was looking for some biblical definition of "sodomy". Is it everything that happened in Sodom? Just anal? Or any deviant form of sex? I recently heard someone say "the biblical definition of sodomy includes anal, oral, premarital, and bestiality". I didn't know enough to refute what was said.
Mad Runner

Re: What is the biblical definition of "sodomy"?

Postby jimwalton » Sun May 10, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that "sodomy" is not a word that's in the Bible. In response to your question I looked for it and can't find it. I looked in a couple of different translations (it's impossible to look in them all), and it's not in the King James, the New International Version (NIV), the New American Standard Bible (NASB), or the Revised Standard Version (RSV). I think I'm safe to say with some confidence that there is no Biblical definition of "sodomy." If someone knows differently, jump in and we can take the discussion from there.

If you want to talk about what happened in Sodom, that's quite possibly different from the way the word "sodomy" evolved to mean what it means today.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Re: What is the biblical definition of "sodomy"?

Postby Mad Runner » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Thanks for your answer, it looks like there is no biblical definition of the word. I just found something that says the it was first used in 250 A.D so you are right. Thanks for your time.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:10 pm.
Mad Runner

Return to LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality