Board index Abortion

What does the Bible say about abortion

Abortion and the new heartbeat laws

Postby Johnny Boy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Can we talk abortion?

So the heartbeat laws are in process of being signed in many mid,southern states right now and I would like to hear thoughts on the proceedings. Specifically, Alabama's proposed law will outlaw abortion in all cases including rape/incest but excluding health of the mother. Any physician found of violating this faces 99 years in prison, the mother is not guilty.

Personally, I do believe life is sacred and begins at conception. I don't believe that personal inconvenience ever justifies taking this life. However, I have never experienced the mental and physical trauma that can come along with this process. How can a physician who performs an abortion, convinced in his own head that he is acting with benevolence (regardless of my personal conviction), receive a harsher punishment that one who commits a murder or rape with malevolence. I've always believed that it isn't a Christians job to dictate how others live but rather live in righteousness, leading by example. My question is what role should Christians play in applying our faith to the law.
Johnny Boy

Re: Abortion and the new heartbeat laws

Postby jimwalton » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:36 am

We have learned that everything has its pros and cons. There is NO issue, and certainly no solutions to complex social issues, that is ALL good and not having anything negative about it. There is nothing like that, and even though it would be nice, it's not realistic to expect that any public policy will have people shrugging, going, "Whoa. There isn't a single negative aspect to this." Ain't gonna happen.

Instead, we legislate for what is good, what is right, what is of benefit and morality in the long run, and we have to somehow deal with the people on the dark side of that decision.

The Bible speaks of the sacredness of life, and it hints that life begins at conception (though the writers knew nothing of modern biology). But now that we know about genetics and embryology, and we are able to push back viability to unbelievable places (5 days ago a child named Saybie was born at 23 weeks, https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 44e4b1b743), it seems to confirm what the Bible was saying. As we know, though, no one can really say when life begins, since that's a philosophical/theological question and not a scientific one. I believe the Bible teaches that human life begins at conception.

I also "have never experienced the mental and physical trauma that can come along with this process," though I'm not certain it's wisest to legislate according to emotional trauma. We try to legislate wisely in the best consideration of all factors at hand, and trauma is certainly in the mix, though in my mind not automatically the preeminent consideration.

> How can a physician who performs an abortion, convinced in his own head that he is acting with benevolence (regardless of my personal conviction), receive a harsher punishment that one who commits a murder or rape with malevolence.

In the mind of many pro-lifers, most abortion is intentional murder no different from pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger.

> I've always believed that it isn't a Christians job to dictate how others live but rather live in righteousness, leading by example.

But I think that we are always responsible to work for justice in society (Micah 6.8), especially to advocate for the powerless. If we can't intercede for those who can't do so for themselves, and if we're apathetic about justice in society, we have really failed our "neighbor."

> My question is what role should Christians play in applying our faith to the law.

In a case like abortion, I believe that a quest for what is good, righteous, and just must carry the day. If we stand idly by and do nothing to stop evil (Romans 12.21), we are allowing evil to succeed. If we're not concerned with seeing what is right happen to people, we are passively endorsing the wrong (James 4.17). If we don't work for justice, society will devolve into anarchy (Isa. 1.16-23).

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:36 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Abortion