Board index The End of the World

Everybody's interested, but nobody cares? Endless theories, wild speculation, and many ancient prophecies. What does the Bible say? Ask what you want.

Predictions about the end

Postby Soton » Wed May 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Why do Christians keep believing people predicting the end of the world?

I understand the research showing that people already committed to an end of the world prediction double down on their commitment when the world fails to end on schedule.

What I don't understand is why so many Christians seem to join new end of the world predictions they don't have a prior commitment to.

Various Christian preachers and prophets have been predicting the imminent end of the world since the founding of the religion. So far every single one of them has been wrong.

With a track record like that I'm surprised that new predictions of the end of the world aren't met with derisive laughter rather than eager donations of cash.

What makes a Christian say to themselves "well, yes, its true that literally every person who has ever predicted the end of the world has been 100% wrong, but THIS GUY is totally right!"
Soton

Re: Predictions about the end

Postby jimwalton » Wed May 02, 2018 4:21 pm

We don't. I don't believe any of them. Their logic is wrong, their exegesis is wrong, and Jesus himself said we'd never be able to predict the day. We'll recognize the signs and have a good idea that it's closing upon us, and we'll be able to watch some of it happening, but we won't be able to predict the day. It's not that kind of thing. And it certainly won't be because of a particular alignment of the stars. Seriously?? Give me a break.

> Various Christian preachers and prophets have been predicting the imminent end of the world since the founding of the religion. So far every single one of them has been wrong.

Agreed. True.

> With a track record like that I'm surprised that new predictions of the end of the world aren't met with derisive laughter rather than eager donations of cash.

Agreed. I laugh at them and NEVER but NEVER send money. Ridiculous.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Soton » Wed May 02, 2018 4:52 pm

You don't. But clearly many Christians do, as evidenced by the large number of followers that the various end of the world predictors acquire. The retention of followers is fairly thoroughly explained. But the acquisition of new followers is a bit baffling to me.
Soton

Postby jimwalton » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to The End of the World