Board index Church

What is the church? What's it supposed to be like and why

Should or can an atheist attend church?

Postby Morpheus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:32 pm

How would you feel about someone who doesn’t believe in God attending church?

I have always considered myself to be an atheist, though I am spiritual and I sometimes do feel some sort of connection to a higher power. I have very conservative values, I read the bible and other religious texts for enjoyment, and I like the idea of becoming involved with a church. I think this would be a healthy thing for me, especially because my family is Ukrainian Orthodox, but my parents and I were never practicing, so I went to church or got involved, but seeing as church and religion are so strong in my Ukrainian culture, I feel drawn to it despite not exactly believing in God. I also think it would be healthy for me to make friends with my values and morals.

The issue is, I still don’t feel like I quite fit in, and I’m not sure what to do.

How would you feel if someone like me attended church?
Morpheus

Re: Should or can an atheist attend church?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:32 pm

That'd be fine if you attend. Churches have an open-door policy: all are welcome, come one-come all. I know you'd be welcome at my church.

> The issue is, I still don’t feel like I quite fit in, and I’m not sure what to do.

Well, this is understandable if you don't believe in God (you're an atheist). In ways it's a little like being a Democrat at a Republican rally. While you may be intrigued with some of the things they say (and possibly even agree with a few), you wouldn't necessarily feel like one of the family, so to speak. But church people are often loving, welcoming, and friendly, so they'll help you feel at home.

Church is a good place for people trying to figure things out, who care about finding the truth, and who want to explore spiritual things.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Morpheus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for the response. I think it will probably help that other than the God aspect, I have a lot of similar beliefs (I am very politically conservative, traditional and rather old fashioned in my viewpoints). It’s certainly odd for an atheist to be this way, but I’m sure it will help me at least feel a bit more at home knowing that the people there share a lot of my views already.

I think I’ll try going and see how it is. Do you think I should be sure not to mention my lack of belief, even if someone were to say something that made it somewhat necessary to disclose my position?
Morpheus

Postby jimwalton » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 am

I think that your best approach is to listen well, interact when appropriate, and ask your questions. There's no reason to hide your lack of belief. Church shouldn't be a place where you think you can't be yourself and say what you think.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:59 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Church