Board index Sin

All about sin. What is it, how does it work, what does it do—whatever your questions are

I believe that a Christian owning a TV is a sin

Postby Just Try Me » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:28 am

This might seem odd, but I believe that a Christian owning a TV is an act of sin. Please give me your perspective. How is this not sinful? There is never a need for a TV, its always a want. How can a christian justify owning a TV and using it for recreation when 1. It detracts from God (at least if its used as most people use a TV) and 2. there are SO many disadvantaged people throughout the world. How can you justify owning a television set? I mean unless its being used strictly to watch documentaries about Jesus, but even then I have to think that Jesus would rather you spend that money on some food or health care for children around the world.

Ok, let me clarify Something - For everyone saying, "Well what about you? You must have posted this on a computer or laptop!?" I never said that I didn't own a TV, nor did I say whether I was Christian or not. Instead of pointing at me and saying, "well you're doing it too!" I'd like to actually hear reasoning as to why it is or isn't sinful. Not opinion, but actually reasoning.
Just Try Me

Re: I believe that a Christian owning a TV is a sin

Postby jimwalton » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:03 pm

The Bible has no problems with wealth and material possessions. There were times when it specifically says that God blessed people with them (Abraham, Solomon, and Daniel, to name a few). The issues of the Bible towards wealth is generally with...

1. How did you get it? Did you get it morally (hard work, meaningful labor, etc.), or immorally (oppressing people, theft, paying unfair wages to become rich, cheating people, etc.)?

2. What do you do with it? In spite of what you have, are you generous? Do you give to the poor and help feed the hungry? Do you pay fair wages? Do you treat it like stewardship instead of a personal possession?

3. What is your attitude towards it? Miserliness and greed are wrong, as well as hoarding. We should live with open hands.

It's not a sin to own a TV, a car, a house, or anything else. What's a sin is cheating people, hoarding, greed, etc. There's nothing inherently sinful about possessions, nor about recreation and entertainment. What matter is how we got it, what our attitudes towards it is, and what we do with it.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:03 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Sin