Board index Sin

All about sin. What is it, how does it work, what does it do—whatever your questions are

Re: Obesity is as equal a sin as suicide

Postby Tweed of Wills » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:54 pm

again with mental gymnastics. murder definition: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by ANOTHER
Tweed of Wills

Postby jimwalton » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:55 pm

So it's you who doesn't consider suicide to be murder, since suicide is certainly premeditated killing.

You still didn't let me know where the Bible says gluttony is sin.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Tweed of Wills » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:00 pm

yes. murder is very plainly defined as taking someone elses life.

Proverbs 28:7 declares, “He who keeps the law is a discerning son, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father.”

Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, “Put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony.”
Tweed of Wills

Postby jimwalton » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:03 pm

OK, so you're the one who says suicide isn't murder. I disagree, since suicide is the taking of a life. But we can disagree about such definitions.

And thank you for the Proverbs texts. They are perfect examples of what I said before: Gluttony in the Bible is perceived as irresponsible, uncontrolled, and dishonorable, but not a sin. There is nothing in these verses relating gluttony to sin—only to foolishness.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Tweed of Wills » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:39 am

i feel you're doing some mental gymnastics to come to your conclusion that it is not a sin. it's literally one of the 7 deadly sins as defined by the Roman Catholic Church.
Tweed of Wills

Postby jimwalton » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 am

Ya see, I'm not a Catholic. Catholics have elevated the words of the pope to be equal to God's revelation, and there's nothing about that for me to agree with. The Bible is the Bible; the Bible is what God has given us. To me the words of humans, no matter how wise, don't merit the same rank. Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins according to the RC church, but even in their theology there is no Scripture to back up the teaching. Therefore, as an evangelical Protestant, that has no rank. Gluttony is foolish and self-destructive, but God doesn't call it a sin. So especially in this conversation where you are trying to say it's as sinful as suicide, there is no biblical evidence to support that thesis. There are no mental gymnastics, but just the pages of the Bible vs. men's thoughts.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:50 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Sin