Board index Christianity

What is Christianity

Why are you a Christian?

Postby No Sports » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm an atheist, and I'm genuinely curious as to why people believe in religion.

Why do you believe in your religion?

How does it effect you as a person?

Would you be different without it?

Is there any reason why you believe in your religion and not any other or is it just a personal preference?
No Sports

Re: Why are you a Christian?

Postby jimwalton » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Here's why I'm a Christian, and what is to be gained from it.

1. I gain a relationship with God.
2. I am forgiven from my sins and my slavery to sin.
3. I am given new life in Christ. I am a new creation.
4. Christianity gives my life meaning and purpose.
5. I am a Christian because I find that the evidence for Christianity is convincing.
6. I am a Christian because Christianity squares with the way the world is and the way people are. It tells an honest and accurate story of humanity and life.
7. God changes lives. In Jesus my mind is transformed and renewed and my actions are focused to the direction of purpose and significance: the glory of God, the improvement of life, justice in the world, hope and help for the poor, and goodness toward humankind.
8. Christianity helps me understand history, science, philosophy, and psychology.
9. I am a Christian because Christianity makes logical sense and is reasonable.
10. It makes sense with what I see of conscience, morality, beauty, and purpose.

How would I be different without it? I think I'd be vastly different. If I were just free to do as I pleased, I think I would have made many more messes of situations, people, and myself along the way.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby No Sports » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:47 am

"If I were just free to do as I pleased, I think I would have made many more messes of situations, people, and myself along the way" Does this mean you believe religion has a direct impact on someone's morality? Do you think it's possible to be a good person without religion?
No Sports

Postby jimwalton » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:08 pm

I do believe that Christianity has a direct impact on someone's morality, though I wouldn't necessarily agree in a general sense to that same impact for people of other religions. I wouldn't want to generalize irresponsibly. But yes, a person who chooses to become a Christian also chooses to become righteous, which includes doing things that are right, noble, admirable and excellent (Philippians 3.8), and being a trustworthy person who keeps his word, is kind, full of grace, forgiving, not vengeful, etc. So yes, Christianity does have a direct impact on someone's morality.

Is it possible to be a good person without religion? Of course it is. All humans have the capacity for good, and there are a lot of people in the world who aren't religious but are good people.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:08 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Christianity