Board index Christianity

What is Christianity

Why do people believe in specific religions?

Postby Hugo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm

I don't understand. Why do people believe in specific religions? If you believe in the existence of a demiurge, why not just believe in that? What evidence is there that one religion is better or even more worthy of belief than another? This is not an attack, I just don't understand...
Hugo

Re: Why do people believe in specific religions?

Postby jimwalton » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 am

Well, for one it's because I believe in truth. I am motivated to discover the truth and stick to it while continuing to search for other truths and deeper truths. I am a Christian because I have found it to be true on many levels. I find the Bible to be reliable by many tests, I find the arguments for God convincing and far stronger than the arguments against him, I find the evidence from science more favorable to theism than atheism, and I have found my spiritual experiences with God to be both convincing and real to life. The evidences are so compelling I cannot not be a Christian. That's why I have chosen Christianity.

In addition, I don't find the worldviews of Hinduism, Islam, or Buddhism either consistent, true to life, or true. So I follow the evidence where it leads and I have settled quite contentedly in Christianity. Thanks for asking. And obviously I'm willing to discuss it more.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Christianity