Board index Morality

How do we know what's right and what's wrong? how do we decide? What IS right and wrong?

Mercy vs. Justice

Postby Eclipse » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:49 pm

Could you explain to me how God can be completely merciful but also completely just? This is a sticky issue, and I'd appreciate answers.
Eclipse

Re: Mercy vs. Justice

Postby jimwalton » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:32 am

Great question. Thanks for asking. Justice, to be truly just, has to take into account not just the act perpetrated, but also the environment, the context, the motive, and the intent. Our justice system recognizes many different facets of "killing", for instance: murder, first-degree manslaughter, second-degree manslaughter, vehicular homicide, involuntary manslaughter, self-defense, etc. A judge doesn't say, "Well, you killed and that's that." If it was in self-defense, or after being sexually abused—those things matter. Sometimes it's just a child perpetrator, and they don't understand. Sometimes it's a total accident. Justice isn't always just punishment based on one's own merit; sometimes there are contexts appropriate for mercy based on the situation.

I'll make an assumption here, that you're wondering how this works with God. The Law required death for sin. That's justice. But from the beginning God said that he would accept the blood sacrifice of a substitute as payment. At the same time he gave the Law, he also gave the sacrificial system. It was always a system of penal substitutionary atonement: The "crime" of sin could be satisfied with an appropriate substitution. While we may scratch our heads at the pure logic of the thing, God has said that he would accept the life of an innocent substitute (a lamb) in exchange for the life of the guilty party (a human). That way God can enforce justice (death has to be the end result in accordance with justice) but also exercise mercy (it doesn't have to be YOU that dies).

Sin in the Bible is not a singular simple entity. The Bible variously defines it as ignorance, inattention, error, missing the mark, irreligion, transgression, rebellion, treachery, unbelief, perversion, evil, guilt, etc. Some of the concepts focus on its causes, others on its nature, and still others on its consequences. It's not just a simple notion.

And, as David Brooks says, "There are not only different kinds of sin, but different remedies for each. Some sins, like anger and lust, are like wild beasts. They have to be fought through habits of restraint. Some sins, like mockery and disrespect, are like stains. They can only be expunged by apology, remorse, restitution, and cleansing. Some sins, like stealing, are like a debt. They can only be rectified by repaying what you owe to society. Some sins, like adultery, bribery, and betrayal, are more like treason than crime; they are affronts to the social order. The social harmony can only be rewoven by slowly recommitting to relationships and rebuilding trust. Some sins, like arrogance and pride, are a perverse desire for status and superiority. They can only be addressed by those willing to humble themselves before others."

So, God has said that, legally speaking, the consequence for sin is death, and the legal requirements can be met by the perpetrator or by an innocent substitute, so that mercy can legitimately be extended to the perp under certain conditions as long as justice has been satisfied.

I hope that helps. If something's not clear, or if you disagree, or if you have further questions, let me know.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:32 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Morality