Board index God

How do we know there's a God? What is he like?

What is God to you?

Postby Hubble Bubble » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:10 pm

I was raised by ostensibly Christian parents who ostensibly believe in God, but I'm not sure I ever totally believed or understood it, even as a child? People say various things God does, likes, or hates, but what is God?

With this question, I'm not trying to imply that you decide what/who God is, just that different people have different beliefs and I'd like to hear them.
Hubble Bubble

Re: What is God to you?

Postby jimwalton » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:15 pm

I define God as "a supreme supernatural divine being."

A few years back I was reading a book by Richard Swinburne. In there he also explained his concept/belief about God:

"God is a non-embodied personal spirit who exists as omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient, and necessarily so. He cannot not be these attributes. His essence is an eternal essence. He is self-existent and the personal ground of being. He has reason, intentions, and free will (perfectly free). He is perfectly moral and good (His moral judgments have truth value). He is completely rational (he is subject to no non-rational influences); He always has a just, moral, and rational reason for His actions). He has capacities that are as great as they logically can be. He is the terminus of complete explanation. No greater being can be conceived."

With that out of the way, God is not a physical being, but instead a spiritual (non-corporeal, metaphysical) being. He is real. He is really there. He is not just an idealism, but has true existence as a true being. He doesn't occupy space (he is not spatial), but He's not just an idea, either. He really exists.

Is this what you were looking for?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:15 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to God