Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

What makes you believe?

Postby Kirby » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:22 pm

What makes you believe? I can't seem to find a reason.
Kirby

Re: What makes you believe?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:25 pm

1. I find the arguments for the existence of God more convincing than the arguments against him.
2. The resurrection of Jesus. The established facts surrounding the resurrection, and the inferences that can be made from subsidiary arguments and evidences are more plausible than alternative explanations.
3. The credibility of the Bible: The historical evidences, its trueness to life, its value for life, and its spiritual power.
4. The testimonies of other people whom I respect. It's tough to deny when you can see people change right before your eyes from one kind of person to another, qualitatively different, kind of person.
5. My experiences of God. I am convinced God exists wholly apart from arguments. They are properly basic beliefs, just like my belief in and experience of the external world and the existence of minds besides my own, such as yours.
6. Christianity gives my life meaning and purpose.
7. Christianity squares with the way the world is and the way people are. It tells an honest and accurate story of humanity and life.
8. God changes lives. In Jesus my mind is transformed and renewed and my actions are focused to the direction of purpose and significance: the glory of God, the improvement of life, justice in the world, hope and help for the poor, and goodness toward humankind.
9. Christianity helps me understand history, science, philosophy, and psychology.
10. Christianity makes logical sense to me and is reasonable.
11. Christianity makes sense with what I see of conscience, morality, beauty, and purpose.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:25 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Bible Questions