Board index Suicide

Does God forgive suicide?

Postby Galaxy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:28 pm

I have learned that God forgives our sins because we are sinners.

However, I also have heard that he does not forgive suicide but isn’t suicide a sin?

So if I succeeded in committing suicide would I go to hell?

Thank you.
Galaxy

Re: Does God forgive suicide?

Postby jimwalton » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:37 pm

God forgives suicide as He forgives all sin except perpetual rejection, but I say: if you are thinking of killing yourself, please seek help before it's too late. Having known several people who killed themselves, I can say to you with both compassion and confidence that it's the wrong decision. Please talk to someone and get help.

As to your question, there aren't any verses in the Bible that even talk about suicide. Some people in the Bible committed suicide (Possibly King Saul, definitely Judas), but there are no teachings in the Bible about it.

Obviously, suicide is taking a life, and the Bible does say that it's wrong to willfully take a life by violence (Ex. 20.13), but it doesn't speak specifically about suicide. We can assume this commandment would include suicide, however.

Some people consider that the Roman Catholic Church teaches that anyone who suicides goes directly to hell. While some Catholics agree to that, others don't. But what we definitely do NOT find is the Bible teaching that. The Bible never says that people who kill themselves go to hell, even though the last act they committed on this earth was murder. The teaching of Scripture is clear that your final destiny is not dependent on an action like that, but the state of your soul (with a sin nature or the nature of Jesus) at the end of life.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:37 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Suicide