Board index Specific Bible verses, texts, and passages 1 Corinthians

Re: 1 Corinthians 11:14 and men with long hair

Postby Free Thinker » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:02 pm

How can we tell what sins are objective and which are subjective?
Free Thinker

Postby jimwalton » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:02 pm

We study the Bible and we use our brains.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Free Thinker » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:11 pm

If that is the case then all sin becomes based on our subjective brains, right? If it is up to us to study the Bible and use our brains then the results will be subjective.
Free Thinker

Postby jimwalton » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:15 pm

> If that is the case then all sin becomes based on our subjective brains, right?

No. Wrong. Most sin is objective. The Bible tells us what sin is, and it's fairly clear. Most of the time there is no debate about it. Only in certain instances is there any element of subjectivity to it.

> If it is up to us to study the Bible and use our brains then the results will be subjective.

So, are you saying that when scientists study nature and use their brains, all of our scientific knowledge is subjective? I think not. Deep, legitimate study and using our brains doesn't necessarily end us up in the land of subjectivity.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Ingenuity » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:20 pm

> So what you're saying is that you agree with me

No what I was saying is when I bring up things in the old testament christian will tell me "we'll that's old testament" so if what I bring up is irrelevant (or doesn't count) so is everything else.

And I'm going to bow out here because we will just keep going in circles over what's culturally acceptable and what the bible actually says. Everything in the bible was written with the current culture in mind. This is clear when you look at old vs new testament. Which means everything can change.
Ingenuity

Postby jimwalton » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:22 am

> No what I was saying is when I bring up things in the old testament christian will tell me "we'll that's old testament" so if what I bring up is irrelevant (or doesn't count) so is everything else.

It's obvious you were agreeing with me, thinking that OT environment and rules were somehow different—and they are, which is the point.

But the OT is very relevant. It's the inspired Word of God, just like the NT.

> And I'm going to bow out here because we will just keep going in circles over what's culturally acceptable and what the bible actually says. Everything in the bible was written with the current culture in mind. This is clear when you look at old vs new testament. Which means everything can change.

This is not true, either. Everything in the Bible was written in a cultural context, and it was written TO them, but it is also written FOR us. The principles in the OT carry through to all of us. It's certainly not true that "everything can change." Rape, for instance, is wrong no matter where, no matter who, no matter when. Murder is wrong. Kindness is good. Forgiveness is noble. These things never change.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:22 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 1 Corinthians