Board index Angels

What are they? What do they do? What do we know about them?

How powerful are archangels?

Postby Mega Blackhole » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:45 pm

I was wondering, How Powerful is Michael?...Like, I know he beat Lucifer...But how Powerful do you have to be to do so? Is his Power described in the Bible? If so, please tell me out with this Question.
Mega Blackhole

Re: How powerful are archangels?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 pm

We are given virtually no information. They seem to be a higher order of angelic being, seemingly given the difficult task requiring more authority or power, but even those are guesses. He seems to be the special protector of the Hebrew nation (Dan. 10.13, 21; 12.1; Jude 9; Rev. 12.7). Though the Jews during the intertestamental period made up 7 archangels (1 Enoch 20.7), in the Bible the term is never used except in the singular, possibly implying there is only one. No one knows, and nothing else is known.

> Like, I know he beat Lucifer.

We don't even know this. It seems that he was in conflict with the devil, but didn't dare to even bring an accusation against him, passing him up the line for God to deal with him directly. God is the one who could beat the devil. It seems that this confrontation was above Michael's pay grade.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Mega Blackhole » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Oh... :lol: i din't know...I ask this question because it seems as if the Archangels are quite literally the closest thing to God in Divine Power, apart from being God, from what I've heard
Mega Blackhole

Postby jimwalton » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Yeah, people make up all kinds of stuff and believe all kinds of stuff. In the Bible we're just not told. Maybe that's why people feel free to jump to their own conclusions! It seems normal to think that "arch"-angels would be higher on the hierarchy than regular angels, but who knows? We could speculate all kinds of possibilities about them, but it would all be speculation.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Mega Blackhole » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:27 pm

I wonder why we aren't told.
Mega Blackhole

Postby jimwalton » Sat May 05, 2018 4:33 am

Probably because it's just a curiosity for us, but in the long run, it doesn't really matter to us or pertain to us. When it comes right down to it, we know almost nothing about Satan, demons, angels, archangels, cherubim, seraphim, or any of the other spirit beings Paul seems to refer to when he speaks of "authorities (principalities) or powers." Neither the Old nor New Testament actually teach anything about these, yet the idea that spiritual beings exist and affect the world is undeniable in biblical teaching. All we have is unelaborated passing references. The focus of the Bible is to reveal God and to show us how to have a relationship with Him. Information about the spirit beings doesn't pertain to that, so it's not in there.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat May 05, 2018 4:33 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Angels