Board index Salvation

How do we come into a relationship with God? What does that mean, and how does one go about that? How does somebody get to heaven?

What must I do to be saved?

Postby Head William » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:53 am

What must I do to be saved or to get right with God" What are the steps I have to do? Would I need to go to church or start paying into a church? Can you advise? I don't know what to do—what church should I go to? I'm not very good , maybe I'm not good enough. Can you help?
Head William

Re: What must I do to be saved?

Postby jimwalton » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:30 am

Glad to talk to you. May I lay it all out for you? I’ll try not to make it too lengthy, but I do want to answer your questions correctly.

If you are familiar with your Bible, you may want to look at these passages with me. If you don’t have access to a Bible, you can find one online at www.Biblegateway.com

In Romans 1:20-21, we read that God has made himself known to us, so that we really can know there is a God, and what He is like. The Bible is full of stories and teachings that tell us what God is like.

In the Bible, we also find out what we are like. Romans 3:23 lets us know that we are sinners and separated from God. We’ve all done things that are wrong, and it comes from inside of us where our very being is not aligned with God. None of us is good enough, or can be good enough, to earn our own way to heaven by being a good person. As also James 2:10 says, we’re all guilty.

But even in this condition, God loves us. Romans 5:8 tells us about God’s overwhelming love for us not matter how good or bad we are or have been.

Romans 6:23 tells us that God offers us a gift of salvation. It’s not something we earn or deserve (look at Ephesians 2:8-9). Salvation doesn’t belong to the good, but to whoever wants to receive the free gift that God is offering. If we remain sinners, we remain separated from God. But if we just accept the free gift God offers, it’s ours for the taking. But what’s involved with that? How does one do it?

Romans 10:9-10 tells us to confess and believe. John 1.12 says to receive Jesus. Romans 10:13 tells us to call on the name of the Lord and be saved. There are no religious formulas or rituals. Jesus himself asks us to repent of our sins and believe the good news (Mark 1:15; also look at Acts 2:38). Also read John 3:16.

Here is a sample prayer that someone might pray if you are feeling God’s tug on your heart right now: “Father, I know that my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

You see, salvation has nothing to do with being good, but with committing ourselves to Jesus, much as one commits himself to a wife in marriage: I love you, I want to be with you, I want to make you happy, and I’ll do whatever it takes. We are born with a sin nature (Romans 7:18-25; not naturally wanting God or the things of God). But if we want salvation, we are asking God to take that sin nature and change it to the nature of Jesus in us (Romans 8:29), so that we become new (John 3:3; 2 Cor. 5:17). Salvation is not about being good, or being religious. It’s an act of God in us, not something we do for or to ourselves.

To put it in a sequence, God makes himself known to us, and we come to an understanding of who God is, and who Jesus is—also God. We become aware of our sins that separate ourselves from God, and we repent of those—turn away from them. We choose to believe in Jesus, we ask him to change us and our orientation in life, to come into a love relationship with him (Mark 12:29-30). On that basis we commit ourselves to living a godly life. As such we want to go to church to worship him, to learn more about him, and to be friends with other Christians. We start to pray and to read the Bible. We let God continue to teach us about himself and how we’re supposed to act. It’s life transforming.

I’ve probably written enough for now. I don’t want to overwhelm you. But feel free to read and consider what I’ve written, and to write back with responses or more questions. As John 3:16 and Romans 5:8 say, God loves you very much and wants to change your heart by his grace and bring you into relationship with him. If you’re ready, you can take those steps today.

I would love to hear back from you.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Head William » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:16 am

You and your brother both say salvation is an offer, but in my thinking ,... is a gift not a gift. I've read in the bible that salvation is a gift. One does not ask for a gift. At Christmas, does your wife ask for a gift, or do you give the gift? That's my first question. Where in the bible does it say salvation is an offer? I read ....the gift of salvation is etc etc etc. It is a GIFT, not an offer. Am I right? is that what bible says?

2Co_9:15 Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!

Eph_2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not from yourselves—it is the gift of God.

Eph_3:7 I became a servant of this Good News by the gift of God’s favor given to me through the exercise of His power.

Eph_4:7 But to each one of us grace was given in keeping with the measure of Messiah’s gift.

I don't read the word "offer" anywhere in these verses. But I read "offer" mentioned 21 times in new testament. "Offer" is always in regard to sacrifice, never to an offer of salvation. It's a gift of salvation. Can there be a gift of sacrifice? Hmmm, I await your expert advice.
Head William

Postby jimwalton » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:29 am

Oh, EXCELLENT question! What a pleasure to talk to someone who’s thinking straight and well.

There are a number of places in the New Testament where Jesus or Paul say that salvation is offered to us. It’s a gift that God is ready to give, but will only give if one chooses to accept it, hence, an offer of the gift of salvation.

Matthew 4.19; 9.9: Jesus invites people to follow him. It’s an offer that is their choice to respond to or not.
Matthew 9.13: Jesus calls (makes an offer) to sinners to follow him.
Matthew 11.28: Jesus extends an offer to those who will come to him: “Come to me, all you who are weary…you will find rest for your souls.” He invites people to respond to his offer of a gift.
Matthew 20.1-16, the parable of the workers in the vineyard. The landowner makes an offer to any who want to come. At the end of the day he is generous (v. 15), basically giving gifts to the latest recruits.

These are just a few, but there are many such things. Salvation is a gift that is offered to all, but it must be received by those who choose to receive it.

We are also encouraged to ask for salvation, or, in your words, to ask for the gift:

Matthew 6.33: We must seek it to receive it.
Matthew 7.7-11: Ask, seek, knock. Especially v. 11: “How must more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”
Mark 10.17: The man asks, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?"
John 1.12: To all who receive him, the gift of adoption into his family is given
John 3.21: We must choose to live by the truth and come into the light.
John 6.35-40: We must choose to come to God, look to the Son, and believe in him.
John 4.14-15: The woman asks for the gift Jesus offers. We must choose to drink the water of salvation.
Acts 2.17: The people who want to be saved ask, “What shall we do?” Peter coaches them to repent and be baptized.
Acts 16.30: The man asks for the gift of salvation, and Paul & Silas tell him to respond with belief (v. 31)
Romans 4.16: The promise comes by faith—making an assumption of truth based on enough evidence to make it reasonable to make that assumption. Faith is also putting away self-protection and relying on God’s providence. It is that step of faith that justifies us (Rom. 5.1; 9.30; 10.8-10)

Romans 10.14 counsels us to call on the name of the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5.20 says that Christians should appeal to others: “Be reconciled to God.” The implication is that people would respond by asking for that gift (that we might become the righteousness of God, v. 21)).

I hope this helps. Hopefully I’ve understood your question correctly and responded appropriately. If I’ve missed the mark, let me know.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Head William » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:53 pm

I think you've missed the mark, Matthew Mark Luke John and Much of Acts and Romans are old testament. Jesus has not died yet so those books are still law books or much of it. The gospels are all old testament , Jesus is still on earth , am I missing something,....the new covenant does not apply until the death of the person , in this case Jesus. hey he is still alive in the gospels and acts,............

These verses you gave are are O Testament /Law of Moses

Matthew 4.19; 9.9: Jesus invites people to follow him. It’s an offer that is their choice to respond to or not.
Matthew 9.13: Jesus calls (makes an offer) to sinners to follow him.
Matthew 11.28: Jesus extends an offer to those who will come to him: “Come to me, all you who are weary…you will find rest for your souls.” He invites people to respond to his offer of a gift.
Matthew 20.1-16, the parable of the workers in the vineyard. The landowner makes an offer to any who want to come. At the end of the day he is generous (v. 15), basically giving gifts to the latest recruits.

These are just a few, but there are many such things. Salvation is a gift that is offered to all, but it must be received by those who choose to receive it.
Head William

Postby jimwalton » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Well, sir, here you are definitely mistaken. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts and Romans are all New Testament. Jesus died in about AD 30, give or take. The Gospels were written anywhere from the mid-50s (20 years later) to the mid-70s, though John may have been written later than that. Acts was probably written in the 60s, and Romans was written in AD 57. Jesus has been gone from the earth for about 25 when it is written. None of the verses I used were Old Testament. It probably changes the points you’re trying to make.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Head William » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:05 pm

Dear Jim,

According to my understanding the gospel is a proclamation a declaration, but you say the gospel is an an invitation an offer

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of Adonai Elohim is on me, because Adonai has anointed me to proclaim Good News to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound,

Isa 61:2 to proclaim the year of Adonai’s favor and the day of our God’s vengeance, to comfort all who mourn

Isa 61:3 to console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, that they might be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of Adonai, that He may be glorified.

One does not proclaim an offer
One proclaims a declaration. a done deal a free gift.
SALVATION is a declaration

from william
Head William

Postby jimwalton » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:14 pm

Thank you for the response, William. You are right that the Gospel is a proclamation, but then we are invited to participate in the freedom, beauty, glory, and wonder of it. The Word is proclaimed, and the invitation is to come:

Rev. 22.17: “The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come!’ And let him who hears say, ‘Come!’ Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.”

And don’t miss Isaiah 55.1-3: “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.”

The declaration precedes the invitation, and the initiative is always God’s. But he invites us to respond, and it is our response of faith that makes effective the gift of salvation offered on our behalf. The gift is extended to all, but only those who come and receive it get the benefit.

A beautiful illustration of it is the parable of the Wedding Banquet, told by Jesus and recorded for us in Matthew 22.1-14.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Head William » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:04 pm

The Gospels record the life of Jesus before he died. Therefore he was under the mosaic law. All the events in the gospels are when Jesus walked the earth , which was still the time of the law. The new covenant started at his death and resurrection therefore what we read in the gospels is a outworking of jesus under the law the law ended at the resurrection of Christ up to that point everything recorded was still under the law,. check it out please.
Head William

Postby jimwalton » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:20 pm

This conversation has definitely taken an unexpected turn. I thought your question was about “What must I do to be saved?”

You’re right that the Gospels record the life of Jesus before he died, and you are also right that the new covenant was in his blood shed on the cross (Lk. 22.20). But it’s also true that Jesus himself was the new wineskins (Mk. 2.19-22); in this same text Jesus tells them that the bridegroom is presently with them (19). When Jesus was with them, the kingdom of heaven was at hand (Matt. 4.17; Luke 4.18-21). Jesus fulfilled the Law with his life, not just with his death (Mt. 5.17-21).

Jesus brought the kingdom of God. He was the Bread of Life come down from heaven. He was the living water. He was God among them. But none of this changes the message of what one must do to be saved.

Jesus was directly asked this question twice during his ministry. On those occasions, he gave these answers:

1. Love God will all that you are.
2. Love your neighbor
3. Do God’s will by obeying his moral commands
4. Be willing, if he asks, to drop everything and leave it behind to follow him

Jesus asked people to trust him radically, which calls for both belief and action. Invite Jesus into your heart and embark on the journey of discipleship in which you seek to love God with every fiber of your being, to love your neighbor as yourself, to live morally, and to follow Jesus wherever he takes you, whatever the cost.

That’s what you must do to be saved. I don’t want to get sidetracked. But remember in my first letter I talked to you almost exclusively from Romans, not from the Gospels.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Salvation