Board index Specific Bible verses, texts, and passages Proverbs

Proverbs 16:6 - Forgiveness of sins?

Postby Snow White » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:51 pm

Proverbs 16:6 "By steadfast love and faithfulness iniquity is atoned for". This verse caught my eye today and I realized I had never reflected on how there is forgiveness of sin available to people before Jesus. Or is this verse interpreted another way? I didn't find much on the topic, so do point me in the right direction if you have one.
Snow White

Re: Proverbs 16:6 - Forgiveness of sins?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm

The verse isn't talking about sin like we, in the post-resurrection theology, think about it. It's more about order and covenant.

"Love and faithfulness" are covenant terms pertaining to relational loyalty and commitment. Relationships characterized by love and faithfulness lead to order instead of disorder or chaos. They make society stable.

The word for sin is ahwn, meaning "perversity" or "evil," not "sin" as we define and think about sin. And "atonement" is from kipper, which is very different from our concept of atonement. It's more of a purification, what takes away offense. What the author is saying is that covenant relationships form the basis for stable familial and community order.

He follows that with "through the fear of the Lord a person avoids evil." "The fear of the Lord" is an expression for a reverent covenant relationship with God that forms character and plays itself out in a righteous life.

"Evil" is ra', and is also a term of order, not a term of morality (The OT uses "wickedness" for morality). Order is the value one seeks to achieve. One achieves it through a covenant relationship with God characterized by wisdom and righteousness. It is this relationship that brings order in life and puts one in a position to avoid "evil" (disorder).

In summary, the verse is a parallel doublet expressing the idea that covenant love and faithfulness towards people and God lead one to order (which is righteousness and wisdom) and help one avoid disorder (which is foolishness and unrighteousness).

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Proverbs