Board index Free Will

Do we have free will, or is everything already planned for us?

Re: Naturalism and Hard Determinism

Postby jimwalton » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Good question. I get this thrown in my face all the time, with people making radical and absurd claims, but insisting that I, as the theist, bear the entire burden of proof. It's ridiculous, and incorrect.

Here's the answer to your question. In a court of law, the burden of proof lies on the prosecution. One succeeds by establishing confirming evidence and negating oppositional evidence. In a debate, however, the burden of proof lies on anyone making a claim. Each party carries the burden of proof for any assertion they make in the argument. Whereas the defense in court need prove nothing except that the prosecution has not substantiated their case, in a discussion the burden of proof lies with anyone and everyone making a claim to substantiate that claim.

Even in a court of law, the burden of proof doesn't require absolute certainty, but only the preponderance of evidence that leads one to a conclusion "beyond a reasonable doubt." I talk with atheists who say that I may have a case, but it's not 100%, so they reject it. Again, that's a dodge; a case doesn't have to be 100% to fulfill the burden of proof or to establish not only credibility and plausibility, but also probability. 100% certainty is never reachable in any case, but it is simply not an option in historical fact or philosophical/theological debate.

Therefore, sometimes the best strategy in a discussion such as this is to defer to the "opponent" to explain their position and then have to substantiate it. More traction can be had in showing the shortcomings of their stance than in going 'round and 'round with your own points. A discussion, obviously, is always more friendly and ultimately productive when there is give and take from both parties, but when the going gets tough, try to lay the onus on them. Since it's my belief that their position is weaker anyway, it can be a more direct path to showing that.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Re: Naturalism and Hard Determinism

Postby RyanS » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Hello:

Once more, thank you very much for your assistance in helping me understand better this issue.

Thank you,
-Ryan

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:40 pm.
RyanS

Previous

Return to Free Will