Board index Christmas

Discussions and questions pertaining to Christmas: when and where was Jesus born? The Shepherds, the Wise men, the descent into Egypt, the star, the manger, and the Virgin Birth. Let's talk.

How did Mary give birth?

Postby Jesusgirl123 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:01 pm

Was Jesus born in the traditional way?
The new series The Chosen , Christmas special , showed Mary laboring in pain and I heard that some disagreed with that. I never really gave it much thought but after some pondering I think that it was an inaccurate depiction because I don't think Jesus could cause anyone pain like that, even though some would argue that since he was fully human, he would have to arrive in the same way as all humans.
Jesusgirl123

Re: How did Mary give birth?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:01 pm

Great question. Thanks for asking. I'll give you my perspective, and then we can discuss it.

I don't see a single hint, let along something directly said, in the Gospels about her labor and delivery being any different than any other woman's. Luke 2.1-7 is the only place that records anything close to details about such things, and from Lk 2.6 it seems that she went close enough to full term, and from v. 7 it seems that the newborn Jesus had to be wrapped up for warmth like any other newborn. There's really nothing in the account to make us think there was anything special about the birth. The conception of Jesus is special, for sure, and that is made clear to us. But the birth? There is no warrant to think anything different or special, let alone miraculous, is happening.

I also saw "The Chosen" Christmas special for the first time last month. You say that you think it was inaccurate because Jesus wouldn't give anyone pain like that. My response to that is that pain in childbirth is part of our human condition, and the increase in that pain is part of sin's effect (Gn. 3.16). Since Jesus was being born as a human, born into a sinful Earth, taking on human likeness so that He was in every way like us (yet without sin), we shouldn't think Mary's experience in childbirth would be one of abnormal, supernatural bliss. She was human just like everyone else. To add to the comments about Jesus's humanness, we know that He felt hunger pangs, thirst, and pain just like any human does. If He did, why wouldn't Mary?

Did Jesus cause pain in someone else? The Bible says yes. The prophecy of Simeon (Lk. 2.33-35) says that Jesus will cause the falling of some and would be at least part of the reason a "sword" would pierce Mary's soul. Jesus was also the reason James was killed (Acts 12.2). He was the reason Stephen was killed (Acts 7.54-60), that Paul and Silas were flogged (Acts 16.23), and numerous other violent acts against people because of Jesus (including martyrdom in Rev. 6.9-11. Because of Jesus, some are flogged, beaten, sawn in two, persecuted and mistreated (Heb. 11.36-38).

So I've looked at the Scriptures regarding your question. They indicate to me that Mary was clearly human and there every reason to expect she experienced everything as a human (except her first conception, which is explicitly told us was unique), that Jesus was made like us in every way except without sin in Himself, and that Jesus did truly cause pain in many people.

So let's talk about it. What's your response?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Christmas