Board index Heaven and Hell

What we know about heaven and hell

Jesus in heaven and Satan in hell

Postby Taiwanese » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Is Jesus in heaven walking about like we walk about here, and Satan in hell walking about with a sort of disturbing humanoid form?

Or, are there any Christians who see it that way?
Taiwanese

Re: Jesus in heaven and Satan in hell

Postby jimwalton » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:17 pm

No, heaven is not really a "place" taking up space (that if we had a telescope good enough, we could actually find it). Same with hell. It's not like that. "Heaven" is how we describe the presence of God, and hell is being separated from the presence of God. Jesus is not walking around in heaven like we walk around here, nor is Satan moseying around in hell. It's not like that.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Re: Jesus in heaven and Satan in hell

Postby Rogue One » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:08 pm

Whilst heaven is not a place you walk (that is what Earth is for), there is most definately an active Council and Court. Jesus has the whole Earth as His footstool now that His work is done.

I think we often forget that God is resting today.

It is impossible for men to conceive of these things and therefore earth like analogies are very important.

The devil is described like a lion prowling around looking for someone to devour.

Now in reality we who have been given spiritual minds understand that we are dealing with spiritual matters. However with those same minds we are able to become all things to all men. And in that we have to speak in a way that can be understood.

I may say 'Jesus walks in heaven' and not be a liar because the Word of God who knows my heart is more than capable of making my statement stand.

I may say 'The devil stands on the street corner with a knife in his pocket and evil intent in his heart' and again not be a liar.
People need images they can identify with and swallow according to their need. For this reason Jesus spoke in earthly parables and then explained the spiritual reality of those parables.

I think we need to do that more often.
Rogue One

Return to Heaven and Hell