Board index Christianity

What is Christianity

What are the differences between Protestant and Catholic?

Postby Heckler » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Orthodox Christians, Tell Me About Your Religion And What The Main Differences Are To Mainly Protestantism Or Catholicism

Or if you are not orthodox but very knowledgeable on the subject, that is also fine. I should make it clear, I am a ex-christian (swedish church, protestant) and an atheist for the past few years. I have no real interest in converting; that is not why I'm here.

That being said, I am interested in the topic and would like to know what the differences are. Beacuse the only real differences I know of is visual like the clothes the different priests wear and what the churches look like.
Heckler

Re: What are the differences between Protestant and Catholic

Postby jimwalton » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:45 pm

1. Protestants believe we are saved by the atoning work of Christ alone (grace) that we engage through faith alone. Catholics believe that a person must do good works to finish what was begun by Christ.
2. Protestants believe the Bible alone is our guide for faith. Catholics believe that Scripture and tradition have equal dignity and authority, and both are necessary to know truth. Catholics believe the Bible and the declarations of the church are on an equal level.
3. Catholics believe that the Church is infallible. Their fundamental doctrines do not and cannot change. Protestants believe that the church is reforming and correcting itself in deeper understanding and in correcting mistakes of earlier eras, not in changing doctrines, but in correcting other matters.
4. Catholics believe in purgatory, Protestants do not.
5. Catholics believe in the veneration of relics, Protestants do not.
6. Catholics believe in prayers for the dead (indulgences), Protestants do not.
7. Catholics believe that Mary was sinless, Protestants do not.
8. Some Catholics believe Mary is a co-redemptrix with Christ, an abhorrent doctrine to Protestants.
9. Catholics pray to the saints, whom they believe intercede to God on their behalf. Protestants do not.
10. Catholics baptize infants for their salvation. Some Protestant denominations do this while others do not.
11. Catholics believe the pope is infallible in his official statements. Protestants believe this is a flawed concept.
12. Catholics believe that the Catholic Church is the only true church, outside of which there is no salvation. Protestants obviously disagree.
13. Catholics believe they are the only ones who can correctly interpret the Bible. Protestants obviously disagree.
14. The Catholic Mass is a sacrifice where Christ is being re-offered. Protestants believe Christ was offered once for all, and never again.
15. Catholics believe in 7 sacraments. Most Protestants don't believe in ANY sacraments, but practice the ordinances of the Last Supper and baptism.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:45 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Christianity