Board index Bible

What is the Bible? Why do we say it's God's Word? How did we get it? What makes it so special?
Forum rules
This site is for dialogue, not diatribe. And, by the way, you have to be at least 13 years old to participate. Plus normal things: no judging, criticizing, name-calling, flaming, or bullying. No put-downs, etc. You know the drill.

Israel's military campaigns in the prophetic books?

Postby Kata Plasma » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:41 pm

Looking for mentions of Israel's campaign against the Canaanites in the books of the Prophets
Kata Plasma

Re: Israel's military campaigns in the prophetic books?

Postby jimwalton » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:47 pm

I'm not aware of any. The only offensive battles Israel fought against the Canaanites pertained to the Conquest of the land. They were not directed by God to attack anyone else or to capture any more land. Under Joshua they captured the hill country, and under David they captured the rest of the land. Other than that, it was all defensive battles, trying to protect themselves against incursion.

I'm a little curious where this came from. What have you read or heard that's behind this question?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Kata Plasma » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Amos 2:9-10 is an example of what I'm looking for.

"Yet I destroyed the Amorites before them, though they were tall as the cedars and strong as the oaks. I destroyed their fruit above and their roots below. It was I who brought you up from the land of Egypt, and I led you in the wilderness forty years that you might take possession of the land of the Amorite."
Kata Plasma

Postby jimwalton » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:43 am

Oh, OK, I misunderstood. Yeah, Amos 2.9 refers back to Israel's victory over the Amorite kings Sihon and Og in Num. 21.21; 21.24-30. You're wondering if there are more such references, and where they are?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:43 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Bible