Board index God

How do we know there's a God? What is he like?

Why are only 7% atheists?

Postby Ebony » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Why only 7%?

On my journey to defining my beliefs, I’ve concluded that I’m atheist. I’m still kind of an infant atheist, so naturally I’m just hungry for what’s real and what’s not. But I’m a little conflicted by the percentage of atheists worldwide. It’s a very small percentage.

What is the factor that makes the majority of the human race religious and have beliefs without recognizing the fallacies? And what is the factor (besides the obvious reason that we just wanted to know what’s up) that makes the atheists the small percentage that they are?
Ebony

Re: Why are only 7% atheists?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:55 pm

It's because the fallacies are really with the atheist position, not with the theistic position, and the arguments weigh heavily in favor of theism. On examination of the logic and evidences, theism is a far stronger position with more to support it. Only 7% are atheists, presumably, because so many others can see the validity of theism.

Most of us humans, by my observation, are hungry for what's real and what's not. We want the truth, whatever it is. That's why most are theists. In seeking the truth, we have come to recognize the existence of God as being true beyond a reasonable doubt.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Ebony » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:03 pm

That’s the most bullshit answer I’ve gotten.
Ebony

Postby jimwalton » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:10 pm

I've been reading some of the other responses and your assessment. It seems altogether possible that you only wanted to hear answers that already agreed with your position. That's your business. But we do everything possible to seek and find the truth. We weigh the arguments and the logic behind them. We examine the evidences and try to infer the most reasonable conclusions. The truth is, and it's fairly undeniable, that of all the people who do that, about 60% of people around the world have chosen theism and about 7% have chosen atheism. So we have to think about why that is. You say you're a new atheist, which means you've thought about the logic and the evidences and have recently come to an atheistic conclusion. I would be pleased to hear the position you've chosen to take and then the evidences behind it—your substantiation of your position. I'll assume you thought long and hard and have a list of reasons you've chosen atheism. I'd really like to see your position.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Ebony » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:25 pm

I only wanted to see what I wanted to see? Again, bullshit. But please, enlighten me with this evidence you talk about. Cite your sources.

Responding to your comment, I’ve concluded atheism through astronomy as a start. And not being able to understand the logical fallacies in the minds of those who are theists and say they “know” god is real, etc.
Ebony

Postby jimwalton » Sun May 12, 2019 7:21 am

> I only wanted to see what I wanted to see?

That was my assessment from reading your responses, and your instant rejection of mine, though I appealed to truth and evidence.

> But please, enlighten me with this evidence you talk about. Cite your sources.

I asked you first, because this is always the way in my conversations with dozens of atheists. I simply asked you to take a position and substantiate it, and, if you're like the others, I'll get close to nothing. But I'm open to seeing your evidences for the positions you take.

> Responding to your comment, I’ve concluded atheism through astronomy as a start.

Thank you. You've given me something, and I appreciate that. You still haven't told me what position you're taking, but have alluded to an "evidence" here. What is it from astronomy that gives evidence for your position (presumably that theism does not. I would guess it's fair to say that you consider astronomy to be more in support of atheism than theism)?

Logic states that anything that had a beginning had a causative mechanism outside of itself, since nothing can self-generate. The grandness of the universe (assuming you believe in the Big Bang) would tell us this causative mechanism is outside of time, not subject to the laws of nature, and is powerful. You'll have to explain how astronomy gives more credibility and evidence to the atheist position than the theistic one. I'm looking forward to the conversation.

I recently had a conversation with Dr. Jennifer Wiseman, the astronomer who is in charge of the Hubble Telescope, who is also a Christian. I'm really curious what evidences from astronomy led you in the opposite direction.

> And not being able to understand the logical fallacies in the minds of those who are theists and say they “know” god is real.

It's impossible from this comment to know to what you are referring. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun May 12, 2019 7:21 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to God