Board index Science and the Bible

Why are so few Christians scientists?

Postby Maxwell » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Question for Christians: Why in the past several decades have there been so few innovative Scientific minds who believed in Christianity or Judaism?

When it comes to scientific minds of the past several decades, it seems so few of them believe in Christianity or any sort of life beyond this one. Looking at how Stephen Hawking viewed Judaism and Christianity, he not only found these religions to have no validity or compatibility with science but seemed to find any concept of the existence of God to be in compatible with science. over 90 % of the modern scientific leaders have the Richard Dawkins/Lawrence Krauss worldview. What do you think is causing this? As a Christian, what does this make you feel about the idea of a benevolent mind behind the universe's creation and of the compatibility of the Bible with science?
Maxwell

Re: Why are so few Christians scientists?

Postby jimwalton » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:06 pm

Your observation is inaccurate. Many many scientists are Christians, and many are theists. A Pew Forum poll says, "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists say they believe in God, while 18% believe in a universal spirit or higher power." (http://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/)

There are brilliant scientific minds who are also believers in Christ. I've met some; I've read some of their works. Remember also, though, that our culture is academically hostile to Christianity, and colleges and universities tend to bludgeon Christians (intellectual persecution) into giving up their faith. I've known many who have experienced that.

Theism is more compatible with science than naturalism, when it comes right down to it. The Bible and science are fantastically compatible.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:06 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Science and the Bible