Board index Salvation

How do we come into a relationship with God? What does that mean, and how does one go about that? How does somebody get to heaven?

Can a Christian lose their salvation?

Postby Ponderful » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:08 pm

I had a conversation with a friend and this issue came up. We were on opposite sides of the issue and no real consensus came about. So I'm throwing this question out to you all. According to your studies of Scripture, can a Christian lose their salvation?
Ponderful

Re: Can a Christian lose their salvation?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:05 am

You'll get different answers to this question. It's not that the Bible is unclear, but that we are unable to read people's hearts and souls accurately. People can be good fakers, and so what for us is confusing, for God it's easy to tell who's really saved and who is not.

I personally believe that one cannot lose his or her salvation, but there are always conditions to such a statement. Sometimes it seems that people were Christians and have lost it, but how are we to know if they ever were? My problem with the whole possibility of losing one's salvation means that, when it comes right down to it, my salvation is up to me: my behavior, my persistence, my commitment. To me that is contrary to Scripture that says salvation is the work of Christ. If salvation is the work of Christ, then it doesn't depend on my behavior. There are plenty of verses that indicate that God holds me in his hand and won't let go. There are also plenty that say only those who endure to the end will be saved. There are those who would say that those who don't endure to the end were never saved in the first place. It's sticky because we can't read hearts and souls.

There's really no answer to the question except that each one of us should make sure it's not an issue. Stay deep in fellowship with the Lord and walk in Christ, and it will never be of concern to you.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:05 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Salvation